Saturday, September 19, 2020

Season 3: The Empire of Friends Blog 15: Goodbye Lily


 Goodbye Lily

    As you may know, I have worked at a Kroger grocery store for the past two and a half years. A month after I started working at Kroger, I met Lily, who had recently been hired. We built a friendship based on our similar sense of humor. On top of that, I am more of a dreamer, and she is more of a realist, so we balance each other out. While Lily has been a recurring character in this series, there is one person that I have not talked about virtually at all!

Maya is Lily's best friend. After a year of working at Kroger, Lily convinced Maya to apply to Kroger as a bagger. Much like Lily, Maya was quickly promoted to cashier. Eventually, however, Maya changed departments entirely and started working at the Starbucks cafe located in the store.

On the week of Lily's vacation, one of my bosses told me to take out the trash. As I walked to the back of the store, I passed Starbucks and saw Maya. Maya had some garbage, and she asked me if I could take hers too. As she was handing over her trash, she let it slip that Lily had put in her two weeks notice before going on vacation. I didn't see Lily again until her last day working at Kroger.

The night wasn't sad, at least not until we got to our last customer. A few minutes before ten, the customer walked to our register, and I gave a dramatic salute. "It's been a pleasure serving with you!" I said, trying to be funny, but accidentally making it worse. I could tell she was about to cry, which wasn't good because I knew the second she started crying; it was over for me.

After we had both clocked out, We walked outside, but because I didn't want to say goodbye yet, I walked to her car instead of getting on my bike, and we talked for an hour. We talked about everything that we had done while working together and all the accomplishments we have made.

Even though I was getting tired, I still didn't want to say goodbye yet, so Lily suggested going skateboarding; I was all in! We drove to Maya's house, picked her up, and then went down to the local high school parking lot to skateboard. I've been skateboarding before, but I've never been as good at it as I was that night!

After another friend of theirs, Owen, showed up, we skated for about another hour before I decided it was time to go home. Lily, Maya, and Owen drove me back to Kroger, and I finally said goodbye to Lily. I walked towards my bike and watched as they drove off. Even though I was sad, I smiled because I'm excited to see what life has in store for my friend Lily!

Have a Greattastic day and be safe!

J. Mitchie Ulibarri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...