Monday, December 20, 2021

Season 4 Step 1 Blog 28: Jingle Jam Part 2: Cousin Simple, Spencer Sutherland, and AJR!

 Jingle Jam Part 2: Cousin Simple, Spencer Sutherland, and AJR!

The only time I thought about Jingle Jam was when I would hear a Charlie Puth song and I would get bitter. All of that changed on October 1st, 2021. That day there was a behavior science conference held by New Story at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium. On top of that, it was Noah's birthday so Lori and I were planning to hang out with him that night (Perfect Timing). I got up got dressed and got ready for the big day ahead of me, not expecting anything else to come up.

To my surprise when I went to eat breakfast, Mom and Dad were excited to announce that, Cousin Simple was going to play Jingle Jam 2021, with All Time Low and AJR. I was so excited about this and I couldn't believe that it was finally going to happen. All Time Low eventually said they couldn't do it and that gave me some PTSD, but WNCI pulled a rabbit out of the hat with an artist named Spencer Sutherland.

The night of December 9th finally arrived and I drove Luke and Mom's college best friend, Anita, to the show to meet everyone there. When we got through security, I walked around in the pit, calling my friend Anna on the phone. Anna and her best friend Jordan eventually found me, and we found a place to watch the show.

Cousin Simple played first. I was singing along to all of their songs, including the one that was released that night, Chapstick, and at the end of the set a boy in the crowd asked, “Do you know the band?”

“Yeah, my brother plays lead guitar!” I replied.

The boy and his girlfriend started asking me questions and they were fine, but then I realized a line was starting to form.  I answered a few more people's questions, but they started to be questions that I didn't know the answers to or ones that I didn't have the right to answer. Anna saw the panicked look on my face and she said, “Come on guys, let's get a drink.”

As we walked away I said to Anna, “I probably shouldn't have said that Ryan is my…”

“Mitchell!” Anna scolded, “Be quiet!”

When Spencer Sutherland started playing we return to the pit. While he was good, it was nothing in comparison to AJR! With all the lights and the sound I honestly thought I was going to have a seizure. Despite how miserable that description sounds it was a really fun night!

Have a Greattastic day and be safe!

J. Mitchie Ulibarri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...