Saturday, June 4, 2022

Season 5 Who Am I? Blog 9: Graduation, Box Seats, and Chicago

 Graduation, Box Seats, And Chicago


On May 27th, Mom, Dad, my grandpa Pop-pop, Josh, Ryan, and I were sitting in our seats early for  Luke's graduation Mass at St. Charles Preparatory High School. Knowing that I would be a mess if we actually had a conversation about it, a few minutes before the Mass started, Ryan leaned over to me and asked, “Did Mom and Dad tell you I'm moving to Chicago In July?”

I had enough time to ask him a few questions before the graduates processed in and Mass started. Towards the end of the Mass, all 134 people in Luke's class received their diplomas. After everyone got theirs, the Mass ended everyone cheered and the graduates threw their caps.

The next day was Luke and his and Josh's bandmate Freddy's joint graduation party at Dad’s art Studio, Kobolt. Their band “Box Seats” were playing it. After posting my last installment “The Spencer Rule,” I drove to my parent's house and was met by my cousin Austin. Eventually, Mom came home and picked us up. 

The studio looked awesome and as people started to arrive I began to mingle. I talked to all of my extended family, my parent's college best friends, Ron and Anita, and their daughter, Maya, my childhood friends Megan and Rachel, and Josh's girlfriend Sophia. Eventually, Box Seats started playing. They played a ton of cover songs and four original songs, “Old Friends,” “Almost There,” “Winter,” and “Offside.” It was surreal because this mirrored my graduation party 4 years ago when Luke and I played an original song together.

It was a good day and a really fun celebration not just of Luke and his graduation, but because of how recently I had found out, the pending changes coming to Ryan's life too. I am so proud of my family and the things that I know that they will accomplish!

Have a Greattastic day and be safe.

J. Mitchie Ulibarri


Speaking of changes before I end this installment I have to talk about New Story a bit. My two bosses, Kathy (who got me the job), and Jason (who was my English teacher and is a major reason that I like writing so much), have left New Story. Both of them found jobs at other schools, and Kathy is moving to Seattle! I wish both of them the best of luck and I want to thank them for everything that they have done for me! I love you guys, and I will miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...