Saturday, October 8, 2022

Season 5 Who Am I? Blog 23: Wait For It

 Wait For It

It was Christmas break 2016, and my friend Greg had returned from Cornell University for the holiday. I spent so much time with my family and my “sisters” that the only time we could really hang out was in the middle of the night. Now Greg is almost solely responsible for unlocking my inner nerd! One night, we were playing video games over that break, when Greg put on the Hamilton soundtrack. I hated Hamilton at first because I'm a storyteller and I love hearing stories, but there's just so much amazing music that it was hard for me to focus on the actual story. But after like 5 listens I finally started to like it.

At the end of 2019, Marshall became my best friend. While we had known each other for a little bit over a year and a half at that point, this was when we started developing a relationship, outside of my “sisters.” At the beginning of 2020, Marshall and I created a document, called “The list of greattastic things.” Basically, we just wanted a list of adventures that we could go on. While we were creating the list, Marshall said, “Hey, my granny has season tickets at the Ohio theater. We can ask her what Broadway shows are coming up and see if we can get tickets.” A few days later Marshall sent me a picture of the list, and sure enough, Hamilton was coming in October 2020…

It was obviously pushed back, but it finally happened last Monday, October 3rd! Marshall got into town around 5:30, and he, Kid, and I picked up Granny and got to the theater around 7. The whole entire time Marshall and I were just freaking out ‘cuz yeah, seeing Wicked over the summer was cool and we were able to watch Hamilton on Disney plus, but we were finally able to see it in person 2 years after we originally planned to…and as a bonus it was opening night!

We dropped Granny and Kid off and went to find parking. As we were walking out of the parking garage Marshall and I decided to go grab one shot each at a nearby restaurant before we rejoined Granny and Kid. When we got our shots, Marshall raised his and said, “Here’s to not throwing away our ‘shot’!”

I laughed at the reference, and then replied, “No! Here's to waiting for it!”

Have a Greattastic day and be safe

J. Mitchie Ulibarri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...