Sunday, October 22, 2023

Season 6 Whats The Dream? Blog 25: Steven Sanchez

 Steven Sanchez

Steven Sanchez is a relatively new musician. I started hearing about him through my “sisters.” The day after Cyndi and Jeremy's wedding, October 1st, Arden and I had a phone call. She told me that she, Marshall, and Kid were going to see Steven Sanchez when he came to Columbus on October 14th. I asked Paige if she wanted to go, and she said yes; then, I promptly asked Arden to send me some of his albums.

Now, there is this other artist that has been around for a while named Jake Scott. The girls discovered him through their Canadian friends, and literally, up until last week, I didn't know that I knew anyone else who liked him. Like, I knew he was famous, but he wasn't… Taylor Swift. I’m aware that's an unfair comparison, but you get my point. Because I had never heard of Steven, in the same way I hadn't heard of Jake, I figured the former was also kind of a niche artist. I didn't realize that everyone knows at least one of his songs. It’s called Until I Found You.

On October 13th, I finally got around to listening to the albums. I was listening to them as I drove from New Story to Columbus State to pick Paige up. By the time I had picked her up and we were getting on the highway Until I Found You came on. I didn't recognize it until the chorus, and I was confused at first because I thought it was playing in my head. “Wait, this is him!” I screamed when I registered what was happening.

“Yes!” Paige laughed at my ignorance.

The next day, we went to my “sisters’” parents’ house for dinner and cake to celebrate… something that I’m not going to talk about right now, but I will definitely come back to eventually. After we had finished, we got into Marshall's car and drove to Kemba Live. Just for continuity purposes, Kemba Live is where Cousin Simple played Jingle Jam with AJR and Spencer Sutherland.

We got there about an hour and a half after the doors opened, and we missed most of the opener. When the opener had finished, the crowd dispersed a little bit, and we managed to find spots. About 30 minutes later, all the lights went off, and Steven Sanchez got on stage. He was a really good performer. The concept of the show was that he died in the 50s, and he and his band were performing to tell the story of how he died. As a storyteller, I enjoyed it; his music was great too!

Have a Greattastic day, and be safe,

J. Mitchie Ulibarri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...