Saturday, May 11, 2024

Season 7 To Be An Advocate Blog 9: Ace of Cups

 Ace Of Cups


Ace of Cups is a bar in Columbus, only a couple of miles from my parents' house. It’s fairly popular locally, and it’s pretty ingrained in my mind because I've driven past it my entire life. Ace of Cups is one of the only major bars that Cousin Simple hasn’t played since the band started seven years ago. So when I found out that Box Seats was playing there, I was very excited.

About a year ago, Box Seats played at a coffee shop/bar called Kafe Kerouac. In the installment I wrote about that show (Fun Fact And Pizza), I said that I loved how Luke and Josh could be themselves on stage. In other words, they don’t really have stage personas. However, while that show was highly entertaining, there is always room to grow!

On Friday, May 3rd, after Paige and I had dinner at my parents’ house at around 6:45, I drove to pick Noah up. I went alone so Noah and I could catch up. Side note- Noah was recently announced as a 2024 Sport Ambassador for the United States Association of Blind Athletes (USABA). At 7:30, Mom, Dad, Ryan, Paige, Noah, and I went to Ace of Cups. We ordered drinks and said hi to the other band members and the other band families, and then, at 8, the music started.

Box Seats played a ton of new songs, including the one that they released that day, Sunscreen. In fact, they only played one cover song. I know that they have definitely played a limited number of covers for a while, but this was the first time I really noticed it.

In the middle of the Kafe Kerouac show, Luke asked the crowd if anyone knew any fun facts, and later, Josh ate a slice of pizza on stage. It was pretty iconic because they were clearly enjoying themselves, but obviously, it wasn’t super professional.

While they have always enjoyed themselves, the best part about having siblings in bands is watching them grow as performers. Over the last year or so, Luke and Josh have become even more confident in their stage presences without being inauthentic, and I can’t wait to continue to watch them grow.

Have a Greattastic Day and be Safe!

J. Mitchie Ulibarri



You can listen to Box Seats' new song, Sunscreen, and all the other songs wherever you find music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 To Be An Advocate Blog 19: Bad Days

  Bad Days I think, in general, I am a very positive person. Obviously, not all the time; everyone has their bad days, but I like to think t...