Saturday, July 6, 2019

Cousin Simple

Cousin Simple
My brother Ryan and I have always been really close. In fact, if you exclude S.M, I consider him to be my best friend. Growing up we would always play with my now “sisters” and we all had many adventures. But as of late Ryan has started a new adventure with new friends, and while I'm along for the ride, this is their story:


As I mentioned a few blogs ago, my Aunt Cyndi is an awesome dancer. The summer of my fourth grade year (Ryan’s second), Cyndi had a start of summer dance party at our house. (Cyndi- we need to do this again… Next summer… I'll call you). We invited a ton of people including one of Ryan's best friends Will and his family. The playlist created by Cyndi started blasting at about 5 pm, and did not end until after midnight. It was here that I saw it for the first time… Will had this energy that made him the natural life of the party. Now I don't really believe in destiny, but I think Will was always going to end up being a performer. 

When Will and Ryan were in seventh grade they met a boy named Mitch. He joined their little group, and the three became ever closer. On their last day of school in 8th grade, they performed a few songs at the end of school mass and they had a private “concert” for their class. The three started writing music together and eventually put some songs out on Soundcloud.

Groove U is a two year music college. Every year they host a battle of the bands. It's called the “instaband” competition, the idea being if you win it… you're a band. The boys entered the competition with Will as the lead singer, Mitch on keyboard & ukulele, Ryan on lead guitar, and their friend from school, Luke on drums.

Cousin Simple’s first performance was amazing for many reasons. Because of Soundcloud, everybody in the crowd knew the songs word for word.  What was even more amazing was the band itself. The stage presence was incredible, because of the energy that they brought. Watching them play for the first time I felt like I was watching strangers;  they were like completely different people. 

After they on the Instaband competition, they took off. They played show after show, and to date they have released 13 songs. Eventually Luke moved to rhythm guitar and they got a new drummer, Joel. I'm writing this now because on Monday (7/8/19) Cousin Simple is playing a show in NASHVILLE TENNESSEE!!! I believe this is proof that with a little hard work and dedication anything you want is possible. Good luck boys and… Ryan break a leg not a lung. 

Have a Greattastic Day 
J. Mitchie Ulibarri   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...