Monday, October 7, 2019

The Magical Pill

The Magical Pill

Because of my autism and my friendship with her (and because she’s a driven girl), my youngest “sister” Arlo is on the autism committee at her high school. The autism committee decided to do the annual Columbus autism walk that raises money for Autism Speaks. As soon as she knew about the event, Arlo invited me and August, my other “sister”, to join in the walk with her.

As I have mentioned before my dad runs an art studio so I told him that I needed some stickers and some t-shirts made to promote my blog. The day finally came and we started on the walk. The walk itself went really well. I gave away all my stickers, had fun with some of my friends, but most importantly there was this sense of community. 

When I got home I walked into the kitchen, where mom and dad were making lunch. We got to talking and Mom asked me if I knew what I was writing about in this blog. I said I didn't really know, and my mom told me this story: 


When I first got diagnosed with autism, we did the autism walk through HLC as a family. I knew that the walk was going to raise money for autism research...I just assumed research meant a cure for my autism. I told mom this and of course, she had to explain to me that that's not what autism research means.

I don't remember telling mom that, but I remembered thinking it and wanting it to be true. I've been starting to think about a question I've been asked thousands of times. “If somebody,”  people will ask, “made a magical pill that made your autism go away instantly, would you take it?”

The first time I was asked that question, I imagined it playing out in my head (as I do with most things). A doctor giving me a pill and saying that it will get rid of my autism. What would happen if I took it? I would probably be a lot quieter of a person, it would be easier for me to make friends, I might be able to understand certain situations I couldn't otherwise. I'd be absolutely positively normal. But that's just the problem, I'd be normal. If some doctor comes up with a pill that takes autism away, I will stay as far away as possible. 

The reason I bring this up is that I didn't always feel this way. I wanted to get rid of it. I know other kids want to get rid of it too. Maybe not get rid of it, but at least be normal. If you know a kid with autism tell them that someday being different won't matter so much. They will have people who love them, and they will feel loved. No matter what is going on now, life always gets better.

Have a Greattastic day!
J. Mitchie Ulibarri

1 comment:

  1. As a sign of gratitude on how my son was saved from autism, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My son suffered autism in the year 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, he always have difficulty with communication,and he always complain of poor eye contact  . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and they left the contact of this doctor who have the cure to autism . I never imagined autism  has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my son will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my son used it and in one months time he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life.autism  has a cure and is a herbal cure,you can contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get this medication, Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...