Saturday, July 11, 2020

Season 3 The Empire of Friends Blog 6: That Ol’ Friendship Laughter

That Ol’ Friendship Laughter

I initially introduced my friend Noah at the very beginning of season two. For those of you who don't know, here's a little refresher of how I met him:

I am a bagger at the local Kroger grocery store. One day, in October of last year, I was working and my boss asked me if I could help the blind man who was standing at the service desk. The blind man was Noah. Over the course of the shopping trip, I got to know him quite well. He's 27 years old, he’s a musician (and a very talented one at that), and he has dreams of playing on the paralympic soccer team in 2028!

At the end of the shopping trip, Noah asked me if he could have my social media information. He DM’d me about a week later, and we had coffee. We talked about our lives and our respective disabilities and bonded over similar struggles that we have both had. After having coffee a few more times, I texted him on Christmas Day and I asked him if he wanted to hang out again in January.

I went to his apartment on Martin Luther King Day 2020, and I asked him if he wanted to meet my friend Marshall. He said yes, but our adventures would have to wait because he was having surgery on his eyes, in February and March.

When COVID-19 hit, all of our plans changed (understandably). Marshall moved to Colorado for a summer job, and Noah and I couldn't see each other. As the world slowly starts to open up, Noah and I have been hanging out again.

 I'm working on a top-secret project and next month I'm announcing it. This is what Noah and I have been working on when we hang out.

I wrote a song to start off a “3 Day Announcement Bonanza”! My brother Ryan is going to help us record it, and my brother Luke is going to help us record a music video. I've been riding my bike to Noah's house every Saturday after I get off work to practice.

We've had a lot of fun working on this together. Some would say a little too much fun. Every single practice almost always ends with us laughing hysterically. For example, a couple practices ago I took a drink of Gatorade. Coincidentally, as soon as my mouth was full, Noah cracked a joke. The Gatorade spewed out of my mouth and nose, and all over my clothes. I don't know why it was so funny, but when I told him what happened we both just lost our minds. But isn't that what friendships are about? Laughing about stuff that isn't really hilarious, but the comedy is amplified because of the people you are with? I can't wait to have many more laughs with Noah!

Have a Greattastic day and be safe!
J. Mitchie Ulibarri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...