Saturday, July 18, 2020

Season 3 The Empire of Friends Blog 7: Just Her Luck!


Just Her Luck!

I have been working at a Kroger grocery store for two and a half years now. A month into my employment, I made a friend named Lily. Lily started as a bagger like me, but she was soon promoted to cashier.

Our friendship works because we're both sarcastic people, but in general, I'm more of a dreamer, while she is more of a realist. In other words, we balance each other out. We've been on many adventures while working, including one time when we accidentally broke the sliding glass doors at the front of the store. She has saved my job countless times because whenever I'm about to do something wrong, she gives me a look, and I know to rethink my decision. However, I have only saved her job once.

When COVID-19 hit Ohio, I told my boss that I couldn't come to work for a while because I have asthma, and my brother Ryan was staying at my house for the quarantine. For those of you who aren't aware of this, Ryan has a lung that is very prone to collapsing. When the lockdown ended, I returned to work.

I was working the Thursday night shift as I always do. Lily was off that night, but she and one of her friends came into the store. I was taking out the trash by the front door when they came in. When I saw them, we talked for a minute or so. I finished taking out the trash, helped to bag, and went outside to get carts for 30 minutes. As I walked into the parking lot, I saw Lily and her friend get into Lily's car.

When I went back inside, I asked if I could go on my 15-minute break. My boss said yes,  and after clocking out, I went to the break room. Sitting at one of the tables was one of my other coworkers, Stan.

"Hey," He asked me, "You talk to Lily outside of work, right?"

"Yeah? Why?"

Stan then told me that he had been working at the self-checkout when Lily and her friend came up. Lily was buying a few snacks, and her friend had a lighter. Stan had turned around to help another customer, and when he looked back, Lily, her friend, and the lighter were gone!

I immediately called Lily, who thankfully answered right away. I told her that her friend stole the lighter, and Lily explained that her friend thought the lighter was cool, and she was going to buy it. But they realized that they had to be over 18 to get it, so the friend put it down and Lily bought her snacks and left.

"Well, where did she put it down?" I asked frantically, "If we don't find this, they're going to fire you!"

"She said it's in apparel!" Lily replied.


"Why would she put it…" I took a deep breath, "Doesn't matter. I'll find it!" After searching all over the apparel, however, I still couldn't find it. I asked her where they were, and she said they were on the way.

"Okay, where is it?" I asked the friend when they got back to the store.

"I'll show you!" She took us to a table that I had overlooked, and there was the lighter! Lily asked me If I wanted her to take it up to the service desk with me, and I said I would handle it because I didn't want it to look like they had stolen it and then come back to the store.

After I returned the lighter, I called Lily back and told her everything was okay. She thanked me, and I continued with my night.

Miscommunication is something that everybody has experienced at one point or another in their life. It is stressful for everyone involved. Having someone by your side to get you through it can reduce the stress of the situation and potentially save you!

Have a Greattastic day, and be safe!!
J. Mitchie Ulibarri 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...