Saturday, August 15, 2020

Season 3 The Empire of Friends Blog 10: Cousin Simple (Remix)

Cousin Simple (Remix)

In July of 2019, I posted a blog called “Cousin Simple” about my brother Ryan's band. In November of 2019, a family friend suggested that I read my own blogs via a podcast, and I took that advice. Unfortunately, it took me cutting out about 50% of Season 1’s blogs and then a global pandemic for me to catch the podcast up to the present day. It wasn't until April 14th, 2020 that I finally posted the “Cousin Simple” podcast. It wasn't until I was recording that podcast, that I realized how irrelevant it's content had become. Because I do want to start writing about Cousin Simple a little more then I do currently, here's a refresher and an update on Cousin Simple:

My Aunt Cyndi is an awesome dancer. In the summer of my fourth-grade year (Ryan’s second), Cyndi suggested we have a start of the summer dance party at our house. We invited a ton of people including one of Ryan's best friends, Will and his family. The playlist created by Cyndi started blasting at about 5 pm and did not end until after midnight. It was here that I saw it for the first time… Will had this energy that made him the natural life of the party. Now I don't really believe in destiny, but I do think Will was always going to end up being a performer.

When Will and Ryan were in seventh grade a new kid named Mitch came to their school. He joined their little group, and the three became ever closer. On their last day of school in 8th grade, they performed a few songs at the end of school mass and they had a private “concert” for their class. The three started writing music together and eventually put some songs out on Soundcloud.

After a landslide win in a local battle of the bands competition, the band took off! They have played in all kinds of places, from dive bars to music festivals, and even the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame! After some trial and error, the band eventually found their current drummer, Joel.

To date, they have released 13 “regular” songs, a Christmas song, and three music videos. They had just signed with a producer and were set to start touring when the pandemic hit, and we all know what has happened to live music. During the quarantine, the boys have been working on writing and recording new music, but more details on that later. I'm so proud of my brother and his friends in all that they are doing, and all that they have accomplished.

Have a Greattastic day and be safe!

J. Mitchie Ulibarri





No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...