Saturday, August 8, 2020

Season 3 The Empire of Friends Blog 9: Groovetastic

                                                    Groovetastic


The first time I went to Noah's apartment, I texted him and told him that I had arrived. His response was, "Groovetastic! I'll be right down!" I laughed to myself because if I lived in the '70s, my catchphrase totally would have been "Groovetastic," as opposed to "Greattastic." I explained it to Noah when we got to his apartment, and he said that he actually uses the word from time to time.


As we have been working on the song, the biggest issue we were facing (outside of the song itself) was what we were going to call our band.

"Noah," I said at the beginning of our month-long discussion, "We should call our band 'The Slice' and then if we release an album call it 'Pizza' so the album would be 'Pizza by The Slice!'"


Noah replied, without a hint of irony in his voice, "That's cheesy!"


Noah eventually had the idea to call the band "Groovetastic," which I really should have thought of that! Come on, Mitchell, get your act together! About a week after we landed on the name, it was time to record the song.


Our song "Miracle Child" was written as an announcement for a secret project that I have been working on. We needed to get the recording done because the announcement will come in the form of a music video. I asked my brother Ryan if he could do the recording because it was the best option. Ryan has experience because he has recorded demos for his band, Cousin Simple.


Last Sunday (8/2/2020), Noah came over to my house to record. We went upstairs to our makeshift recording studio and started by recording Noah's guitar part. I sang a scratch track (a track that won't be used in the actual song), so Noah had something to follow and make it easier to keep tempo.


I have a naturally high voice. I have never claimed to be the best singer in the world. Still, that scratch track was so lousy that when it was finally my turn to record, I sang an octave lower than usual.

The finished audio we got was not the best because I focused so much on the tone that I was missing notes. As a result, Ryan had to come over, and we had to re-record my voice. It was actually a perfect thing, though, because I managed to find a good middle ground between singing in the original recording and my natural voice. I think that is a good lesson- sometimes imperfection leads to perfection.






Have a (Oh, I may as well) Groovetastic day and be safe!

J. Mitchie Ulibarri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...