Saturday, December 5, 2020

Season 3: The Empire of Friends Blog 22: The Kid Kronicles #1-Jimothy

 The Kid Kronicles #1-Jimothy

I have always loved Dr. Seuss, and my favorite story of his is "How the Grinch Stole Christmas." I am so in a love with the character because the Jim Carrey Grinch movie was the first form of media that I saw, which took a pre-established story and added to it. While I was always a storyteller, that movie opened my eyes to the art of storytelling. My love for the character got so intense that for the last Christmas piano recital I ever performed in, I played "You're a Mean One" while dressed up as the Grinch!


Before the Andersons (my "sisters") moved into their house, the previous owner built a cabin in the backyard to watch Ohio State football games. One Saturday in early 2019, while I was working at Kroger, I got a strange text in a group chat with Kid and her friend Chelsea. Kid was having a sleepover with Chelsea, their longtime friend Ronny, and two other girls that I had never met before.  Kid and Chelsea had convinced the other three that an elf named Jimothy was living in the cabin. They wanted me to wait by the cabin and give their friends a jump-scare.


When reading the text, my thought process was as follows: Jimothy=Jim, Elf=mythical Christmas creature, Jim+mythical Christmas Creature=The Grinch… I have a Grinch costume... I should do this as the Grinch.


I waited for it to get dark, and I hopped the fence into the backyard, completely ”Grinched” out. I snuck to the cabin, waited for all four girls to come out, and I scared them. It was amusing because I hadn't walked Kid Or Chelsea through my thought process and plan, so they were pretty confused!


Last December I went to an ugly sweater party with my family. I didn't want to wear a sweater because that's what everyone does! So I kicked it up a notch and went in the Grinch costume. I shared a picture on my Instagram story, and Chelsea replied, begging me to do this installment. That was the entire reason I wrote this- originally.


As those who follow me on social media know, the weekend, a new installment comes out; I post a video of myself at the installment location, announcing that I have new content. This week I decided to dress up as the Grinch and go to the cabin to do the video.


I entered the Anderson's kitchen, and Kid's mom, Barbara, saw me with the Grinch costume. "Are you going to scare Chelsea?" she asked.


"No, I'm doing a video because both the blog and podcast I'm doing this week are about Jimothy."


"You know Arlo (Kid) is having Chelsea over today after school, right?" She replied.




Without a second of hesitation, I ran to the basement to change into the Grinch costume. When they got home, I continued the tradition and scared both of them. Even though initially I didn't have a reason to write this installment, I eventually found a reason. Always be ready because awesome adventures happen, especially when you least expect them!


Have a Greattastic Day and Be Safe!

J. Mitchie Ulibarri.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...