Friday, November 27, 2020

Season 3: The Empire of Friends Thanksgiving Special: The Man Who Saved Thanksgiving

 The Man Who Saved Thanksgiving

I talked about my Aunt Eva, my fairly new Uncle Zach, and their wedding in the very first installment of this season. Well, every Thanksgiving since she was three, Eva (and since their dating years, Zach) and my grandpa, who we call Pop-Pop, have come from Florida to Ohio. My parents, my three brothers, Ryan, Luke, and Josh, and I look forward to their Thanksgiving visit every year. Yet another thing this stupid virus has ruined!


The day before Thanksgiving, Luke complained about how much this Thanksgiving was going to stink. Not only were Pop-Pop, Eva, and Zach not coming, but our entire extended family would not be coming, we usually host 20-25 for dinner at our house. I was getting annoyed because he said everything I was thinking, but that I was trying to ignore. Luckily for us, there was one other person who could still come.


My cousin Austin was born and raised in Florida, and following in my dad's footsteps; he went to college in Ohio. Shortly after his graduation, he got a job in Columbus. He stayed with my family until he found his apartment. Saying Austin is eccentric is putting it lightly. He is the most quotable person I've ever met because he has a real knack for taking everyday situations and twisting them into pure comedic gold!


The last time we saw Austin was back in January for Ryan's birthday. After that, Austin got busy with work, and then you know, the world ended. At dinner the day before Thanksgiving, Josh texted Austin and asked him if he wanted to come over for Thanksgiving dinner.


"Mitchell-Maannn!" Austin exclaimed when he saw me.


"Austy-Aust!" I replied, mirroring his tone.


After a little more catching up, it was time for dinner. We said grace, served ourselves, and started to eat. I don't think I have laughed this hard for this long since early April, and I think my family would agree! Austin was exactly the boost we needed to start the holiday season!


Hope You Had A Greattastic Thanksgiving! 

J. Mitchie Ulibarri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...