Saturday, November 27, 2021

Season 4 Step 1: Thanksgiving Special: Step 1 Part 2

 Step 1 Part 2

For Thanksgiving, as they do every year (except for last year obviously), Pop-pop, Eva, and Zach came up from Florida. Similarly, my cousin Austin came from Pittsburgh where he moved shortly after last Thanksgiving. As always my parents hosted the dinner. Mom's entire family came including my grandpa and step-grandma (Nana) who moved to Columbus from New York only a few days before New York shut down. While I could talk about family stuff, something that is relevant to my goal for this season happened over dinner.

The Mitreys (my cousins) also came to Thanksgiving. The family consists of Melissa (Mom's sister), her husband Andy, and their children, Alex, Maci, Nicholas, and Ellie. We all ate dinner and when people were getting ready for dessert I saw Alex and Ryan sitting at a table. I sat down. Ryan knew what I wanted to talk about, so after he started the conversation, I explained the story to Alex:

In Step 1 Part 1, I introduced Izzy who was a co-worker at Kroger. Izzy and had I planned to move in together, fulfilling my goal for the season of moving out. Because of circumstances outside of our control, Izzy and I moving in together isn't going to work out. Shortly before Aspen took the offer to move in with Marshall in Cincinnati (The Goodbye Andersons Special), her mom, Barbara, tried finding a place for her in Columbus. As a result, when Izzy and my plans collapsed, Barbara gave me the contact information of the woman who was renting the apartments she had been looking at.

I sent an email to the apartment representative and scheduled a tour. After the tour, Dad and I crunched the numbers. “So you can definitely afford it,” Dad said, “but by renting you are just throwing your money away. Maybe you should talk to Ryan about going in on a house together.” Dad explained that once I move out of the new house we could either sell it or continue to rent it out. I thought it was a good idea so I decided to talk to Ryan about it at Paige's wedding.

Paige's got married the day before Halloween so I knew that I would have to write and record “The Legend of Walhalla” before we left for Florida. The day before we left as I was recording, the software I have been using stopped working. Because Ryan makes demos of songs for Cousin Simple, I also decided to talk to him about helping me record until I could figure something out.

As you may recall, I was a groomsman at my friend Greg’s wedding back in June. Since that was the only wedding I have been involved in as an adult I just assumed that the reason I was so busy that weekend was because I was in the wedding party. As a result, I approached Paige's wedding as just another guest and did not account for any other family engagements. In other words, I didn't have time to talk to Ryan until the morning after we got back and even then it was quick because we both had to go to work.

The next Sunday Ryan came over so I could record “The Legend of Walhalla” and “Paige's Wedding Parts 1 and 2.” I planned to kill two birds with one stone and talk about moving after I finished recording, but unfortunately I only got through “Paige's Wedding Part 1” Before Ryan had to leave. Thankfully Ryan came back the following weekend to let me record Part 2.

“Well,” Ryan said after I told him what was going on, “that's a good idea, but we should get Alex in on this because he and I were interested in doing this last year, but we were worried about being landlords. If you're living in the house that could clinch the deal.”

After I explained everything to Alex, he agreed to help. We did some minor research and we have a few areas in mind. While my original plan for this season was to move out at the latest by January realistically it's looking a little more like March. I know that this could also fall through, but I’m thankful that my family is willing to help!

Hope You had a Greattastic Thanksgiving!

J. Mitchie Ulibarri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...