Saturday, December 10, 2022

Season 5 Blog 30 (Finale) True Confidence

 True Confidence

Back in mid-October, I got a text from my ex-girlfriend Gabby, in which she asked me if I wanted to meet up. I told her I would think about it, but quite honestly I forgot. On Thanksgiving night, after dinner, Gabby texted me again to check back in.

As you might know, I broke up with Gabby on my family vacation last summer. I'm not going to go into detail about the circumstances of our breakup, but basically, neither of us were emotionally ready for a relationship, and it had to happen over vacation because the situation was not good for either of our mental healths. When I first mentioned our break up, it was at the very end of the installment I made about that family vacation. Narratively speaking, the breakup came out of nowhere, because I wasn't going to write an installment every time I questioned the relationship. Thinking back on it now, in a way that was art imitating life. While there were a few fights leading up to it, I was trying to put the breakup off, so when I admitted to myself that it had to happen and did it, I think it blindsided her. All this to say, I felt like I owed her a meet-up.

Last Saturday, December 3, we decided to get coffee at Crimson Cup, but she said that there was a location closer to the middle of both of us. She gave me the address and when I pulled up, I was slightly freaked out because it was effectively a warehouse. We got out of our cars and we tried to get in, but the doors were locked.

“Excuse me,” a man said, “who are you looking for?”

“Just trying to get coffee!” I replied.

“Oh sorry!” he said, “This is the Innovation Lab… It's not a coffee shop.”

For a little more context, I found out later that Crimson Cup is really interested in helping people start up their own coffee shops, so they have this lab to teach people how to make professional coffee and make a business plan. “Ah,” Gabby said as the man walked away, “Silver Oak College is a couple minutes away, do you just want to walk around there?”

My first girlfriend Caroline and I had a very on-again-off-again relationship. And while she is the only ex I have ever officially gotten back together with, I would be lying if I told you that I hadn’t thought about getting back together with some of the others shortly after the break ups. I bring this up because as Gabby and I were walking around the campus, nothing happened because I think I’m finally confident with myself when I’m on my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...