Monday, July 3, 2023

Season 6 What's The Dream? Blog 14: Duck Pin Bowling

 Duck Pin Bowling

As you may remember, my brother Ryan, and the lead singer of his band Cousin Simple, Will, have lived in Chicago for the last year. I'm happy to announce that as of Thursday, June 29, Ryan and Will have moved back to Columbus! I am so happy to have you guys back!

Before they moved to Chicago, Ryan, and Will lived with their other bandmate, Mitch, and another guy they went to high school with. The first place they moved into in 2019 was a house on OSU's campus that my parents, aunt, and Uncle own. We call the 245. However, they moved into another apartment when my cousin Alex moved into the 245 with his friends. Shortly after Cousin Simple moved into the 245, they started having a weekly bowling night. After Shane and I dealt with our roommate drama at the end of last year, I wanted to start doing more stuff with him. I took a cue from my brother and his friends and decided to go bowling occasionally with Shane.

I'm not good at bowling. Well, I shouldn't say that… I used to be worse at bowling, and while I am getting better, I still have it in my head that I'm worse than I am. Pins Mechanical Is a chain of Duck Pin bowling alleys, and they have some other fun activities too. Fun fact: Dad does a lot of work for Pins and has the world record for building the largest ping pong paddle housed at their location in downtown Columbus! For those who don't know, Duck Pin bowling is a scaled-down version of regular bowling. The lanes and pins are smaller, and you use a skee ball instead of a bowling ball. Because the lane is smaller, there's less room for the ball to fall into the gutter, and it is, therefore, easier. Because of my mindset with regular bowling, when Shane and I bowl, we go to Pins.

The Pins Shane and I go to are at Easton Mall, and it's the biggest location (at least in Columbus). It has two floors, an enclosed slide, and a ton of arcade and pinball games. The first time Shane and I went back in January, it didn't switch to Shane after I finished bowling in our first frame. "That's weird!" I said. After we tried to figure it out on our own, I grabbed an employee and asked for help.

"Oh," the employee explained, "each player bowls three times instead of two in duck pin!"

On Thursday, June 22, Shane and I went to Pins again. We paid for our lane, got some drinks, and went to the second floor to play. Whether Shane and I are equally good or bad at duckpin bowling is up for debate. Either way, during this particular game, Shane and I were neck and neck the entire time.

We were in the 9th frame, and I had just finished my third Bowl. I sat down, took a sip of my drink, and replied to a text from Paige. "Your turn!" Shane said; I looked up from my phone, grabbed a skee ball, and took "my turn." Unfortunately for me, Shane had only bowled twice and had gotten gutter balls both times. I got him a spare!

"WHAT!" I yelled when I realized what had happened.

"Better luck next time," Shane cackled.

I growled. I knew there was no way I could beat him. At that moment, I promised myself I'd get my revenge!

Have a Greattastic Day and Be Safe!

J. Mitchie Ulibarri


Before I end this installment, I want to congratulate my COUSIN Paige (not to be confused with my girlfriend) and her husband Austin (or Naughstin as you, the audience, know him) on the birth of their first child! I can't wait to meet him!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...