Saturday, July 8, 2023

Season 6 What's The Dream? Blog 15: Rules For A Greattastic Life (Taylor’s Version)

Rules For A Greattastic Life (Taylor’s Version))


While I haven't said it in this series, in my first book, The Greattastic Adventures: Miracle Child, I mentioned that my "sisters" grew up loving Taylor Swift. Because I spent so much time with them and they always listened to her music, I also started to enjoy it. This came in handy when I started dating Paige because she also loves her.


On Friday, June 23rd, I picked Paige up at 5:30 pm, and we drove down to Cincinnati to visit Arden, Marshall, Aspen, and James. When we got to Marshall and Arden's place, we unpacked our stuff and went downtown to get dinner. While eating, Arden mentioned that Taylor Swift was playing the following weekend. I knew about the show because my aunt Melissa, and my cousins, Maci, Nicholas, and Ellie, were going. However, because of the price gouging that has been happening on her "Era's tour," I knew I could not afford the tickets.


"Oh no," Arden said, "we don't need to get tickets! Downtown is being converted into 'Swift-nati.' It's just going to be one big festival!" 


Paige couldn't go because she was leaving for a trip with her cousins on Friday the 30th. That same day, I drove back to Cincinnati. About an hour before the show started, Arden and I noticed the tickets had fallen to around $900 apiece… but we still couldn't justify buying them.


Marshall drove Arden and me to pick up Aspen and then dropped us off in "Swift-Natti." After hanging out at the festival for a while, we got on some lime scooters so that we could eat at a restaurant that wasn't too crowded. After we had finished eating, I checked Instagram and realized that Taylor Swift had started playing. When we were about a mile away, I could faintly hear the music.


There was a closed bridge outside of Paycor Stadium (where she played). The three of us climbed onto what we thought was the edge of the bridge; it wasn't. In reality, it was just a cement wall that ran parallel to the bridge. There was a gap between, and maybe a hundred feet below was a garage. Seeing that drop was the most terrifying thing I've ever experienced!


While we sat there, listening to the crowd scream her music back at her, we all experienced the most extreme case of FOMO ever! "We should have just bought tickets!" Arden lamented. After some more discussion, we decided that if the tickets dropped below a thousand for the Saturday show, Arden would buy tickets, and we would pay her back incrementally. Almost as soon as we made that decision, Arden accidentally knocked Aspen's purse off the wall between the bridge and into the garage below! We looked at each other, looked down, and back at each other, and then we dashed to the garage so it wasn't stolen!


The next day was super stressful! We tried all the avenues to get discounted tickets, but none of them panned out. Eventually, the ticket prices dropped to right above $1,000. I talked Arden into doing it, but she still wanted to wait to see if the prices would go down anymore (they didn't). The situation was made even worse when the start time had to be pushed up because of an incoming rain storm. When we were about to get the tickets, the girls were so stressed they were about to back out. "It's just so much money!" Aspen said over the phone, and Arden agreed.


"I know," I said, "But I think it'll be worth it! Remember how sad we felt last night when we weren't there? The only thing that fell faster than our tears was Aspen's purse!" The girls laughed at how cheesy I sounded, but with a little more pressure, I convinced them. Taylor Swift performed for three hours, so I can't tell you everything that happened. All I can say is It is the most epic concert I've ever been to (sorry, Cousin Simple)!


Have a Greattastic Day and Be Safe

J. Mitchie Ulibarri


Before I end this installment, I would like to congratulate my now-former coworker, Savannah, and her husband, Liam, on officially moving to Cleveland! I will miss you, and I will be coming to visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...