Sunday, November 5, 2023

Season 6 Whats The Dream? Blog 27: Runs In The Family

 Runs In The Family

I can't believe I'm writing this. I can't believe this happened. I mean, I’m not upset about it. I've secretly wanted this ever since Box Seats played their first show in October of 2021 (Here We Go Again). The only reason I haven't said it out loud is because it seemed so outlandish up until last month. I bet you're all wondering what I'm talking about. Well, as you probably know, Ryan is the lead guitarist in Cousin Simple, Josh is the drummer in Box Seats, and Luke plays in both bands. He's the frontman in Box Seats and the rhythm guitarist in Cousin Simple. As of last Thursday, November 2nd, Cousin Simple and Box Seats have officially played a show together! Before I continue, I also have to explain that the drummer in Cousin Simple, Dave, is also in a band called Magnolia, and they also played.

I picked Noah up at 6:30, and we drove to Natalie’s in Grandview, Ohio. Half of Natalie’s is a restaurant/bar, and the other half is a music venue. When Noah and I arrived at 6:45, we went to the restaurant/bar area and said hi to my family and the families of the other band members. Paige and her parents arrived around 7:20, and at 7:30, everyone moved to the music venue half.

Box Seats opened the show. It was really surreal to see them on such an actual stage. I'm not saying they haven’t done it before, but this was the biggest show that Box Seats has played so far, and it’s the first that I actually think of as a stage, just because I’ve been to so many Cousin Simple shows. Magnolia played next. I had never heard of them before. I will say that I know another person in the band. The lead singer is a guy named Joey, who I've known through Dad for years, and he, Dave, and the rest of the band put on a really good show.

Then Cousin Simple took the stage, and it was amazing! The show started with a bang, as expected. However, Cousin Simple pulled out all the stops. Three main things stood out to me. Firstly, they played a ton of new songs. Before playing one of the songs, Will announced that the specific song was going to be on their new EP in January! They have not released a “collection” of songs since their first album, And We Would Never End, in 2017.

The second thing needs a little bit of an explanation. In 2018, a local university newspaper called The Lantern published an article about Cousin Simple. Along with that article, they released a video. It's still on YouTube. It's called Columbus' Own: Cousin Simple Band. Early in the video, the band performs an acoustic version of one of their songs, Strangers. That song is from their aforementioned previous album, and it is one of my favorite songs on that album. I have always believed that this acoustic version, however, was slightly superior. Don't ask me why; I’ve just always loved it a little more. They had never performed that version live.

In the middle of the show, Will grabbed an acoustic guitar. The remainder of the band stayed on their electric instruments, but I recognized the slower intro of it immediately. I was in a state of euphoria as they finally played an “acoustic Strangers” live! Finally, on another one of their new songs, they brought out a freaking saxophone player! I don't think anyone was emotionally prepared for that; I know I wasn't!

I know that this installment mostly focuses on Cousin Simple, but that is mostly because they were the headliners. The entire night, people were coming up to me, telling me how good my brothers played. This isn't anything new. It happens at every single Cousin Simple and Box Seats. But I was happy because this was the first time “Your brothers played so well” referred to all three of them!

 “Well, it runs in the family!” I responded whenever someone praised them.

Have a Greattastic day, and be safe,

J. Mitchie Ulibarri


Before I end this installment, I would like to congratulate my “sister,” August, and her new husband, Daniel, on the birth of their daughter! I can’t wait to meet her!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...