Thursday, November 30, 2023

Season 6 Whats The Dream? Blog 29: Swimmer’s Ear Update

 Swimmer’s Ear Update

Growing up, I was notorious for getting ear infections. I probably had one every couple of months, and it got so bad that I needed to get tubes put in 3 times. In 2019, my immediate family and my cousin’s family, the Mitreys (Aunt Melissa, Uncle Andy, Alex/his girlfriend Emma, Maci, Nicholas, and Ellie), went on a vacation to Hatteras, North Carolina. At one point, Ryan, Nicholas, Josh, and I had a chicken fight. Nicholas and I were the tops, and as we were roughhousing, Nicholas grabbed my head and slammed it into the water, right ear first. Ever since then, I've been having complications with my right ear whenever I go into the water.

Last Summer (2022), my family went on a trip to the Mitrey's Lake House in Norris Lake, Tennessee. On the first day, I went tubing and fell off the tube. A wave crashed on the right side of my head, and you guessed it, my ear filled up with water. I ended up getting an ear infection, and I was miserable the entire week. Everything I have just explained was in the original Swimmer's Ear installment (in fact, the first paragraph is copied and pasted from that).

Now the thing that I focused on in the series from that 2022 Norris Lake trip was my break up with my ex-girlfriend, Gabby. But because of how bad that ear infection was, and since I've had trouble since the Hatteras trip, I knew I wanted to get my ear checked out when it was not infected at some point. At the beginning of this summer (2023), I knew that my family was going to Colorado, and we would be going white water rafting, and then we would be returning to Norris Lake a couple weeks later. Not wanting to repeat the events of “Swimmer's Ear,” I went to the doctor who gave me my tubes when I was a kid.

It was at the beginning of June when I had my ENT appointment. Dr. Blaze didn't recognize me, as I had been so young when he put in my tubes, but I did vaguely remember him. I explained to him what had been ailing me, and when I reminded him that I had had tubes, he explained everything to me.

“There are three layers of the eardrum,” he explained. “The top layer is naturally comparable to packing paper, but after healing from tubes, it's like saran wrap.”

That painted the picture for me. As soon as Nicholas had dunked my head…Pop. He suggested that I get surgery in the fall so I could go swimming and gave me ear drops to survive the summer. At the beginning of the school year, I had a follow-up appointment and scheduled the surgery for November 30th, 2023. For those of you who are following me live, you know that that is today.

Literally, all I am doing before the surgery is uploading this installment and releasing it on social media. I'm mostly making this installment as exposition for the next one. I hate to admit it, but I'm honestly a little nervous. The only thing that's getting me through it, besides praying, is knowing that next week, assuming that I've recovered enough to write and record, I can post an installment that is completely centered on my actions when I'm coming off of the anesthesia! See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...