Sunday, September 1, 2019

The Blizzard Bet

The Blizzard Bet

As I have said before, I grew up next door to four girls. Their names are August, Arden, Aspen, and Arlo Anderson. We went through many trials but, eventually, they became my “sisters”. Very early on in our friendship, I learned about the “blizzard bet”. The idea is instead of betting money, you owe someone a Dairy Queen blizzard if you lose a bet. In October of 2018, Aspen broke tradition.

It was Aspen’s birthday, so August, Arden, Arlo, and I decided to paint her room as a gift. Aspen got done at the gym earlier than expected and she was heading home. We thought fast and their mom thought of something she could pick up from Kroger. While it was a good idea, I estimated that it would only distract her for 10 minutes tops, so I called mom and asked her to send me her grocery list as well. 

When Aspen got home we executed our plan. While in the car on our way to Kroger, I was incredibly excited, I just couldn't stop smiling. She saw my smile and she became slightly suspicious. She asked me what was going on. I started to stutter because I didn't know what to say. Then I remembered something that had happened the week before.

My dad owns an art studio, and when I was younger my grandma, who we call Nimba, would work with mom from my house. Even though mom has started working at the studio as of late, Nimba still comes to the house a couple days a week. That particular week Nimba and I had been talking about me getting my driver's license. She eventually talked me into it, even though I had been hesitant at first. I told Aspen the news, to distract her from the surprise. 

“When are you going to get it?”  she asked.

“I don't know” I replied.

We pulled up to Kroger and I grabbed a cart. At the same time, Aspen grabbed a little basket. Seeing a chance to buy the others at least a couple minutes, I picked a fight. “Aspen,  with the stuff your mom wants us to get, and the stuff my mom wants me to get it would be stupid just to get a basket!”

“Are you calling me stupid?” Aspen asked.

“Maybe…” I said sarcastically.
         
“Okay fine Mr. know-it-all, let's make a bet!”

“I'm game! The normal wager?”

“How about this, if we can't fit everything in this basket, I will buy you a blizzard”, she said, extending her hand. “But if we can, you have to get your driver's license before January 1st.”

I thought about it for a second, and I agreed to her terms. Watching her walk around the store and fit things into that little basket, was like watching someone play Tetris…I lost the bet. I was planning on getting my license like she said before January 1st of this year however, I did something stupid. I wanted to keep it a secret from mom and dad so I could surprise them. I couldn't get anything done because I couldn't get to the BMV on my own.

At the beginning of the summer the bet was brought back up, and technically I didn't uphold my end of the bargain. Arlo turns sixteen next March, so she's able to get her temps very soon. I decided that I would do the classes with her, and hopefully, I will have my driver's license before THIS January 1st ...more to come.  

Have a Greattastic day!
J. Mitchie Ulibarri


No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...