Saturday, November 9, 2019

Just My Luck!

Just My Luck!
I have been working at Kroger for almost two years now. It’s a job that has its ups and downs. Many of you who have followed me for a while know this. A month into my employment I made a friend, let's call her Lily. Lily started out as a bagger like me, but she was soon promoted to cashier.

Now, Lily and my friendship works because of another friendship that I have. As a refresher I grew up next to four girls, who I now look at as family- therefore I call them my “sisters”. Their father is the most sarcastic person I've ever met. Having hung out at his house religiously for most of my childhood and my teenage years, I have mimicked a lot of his humor. As a result, I'm really sarcastic. (I plan to write a blog about him on New Year's Eve of this year...stay tuned).

Lily is just as sarcastic as I am, except her outlook on life is slightly more negative than mine. When we are working together, we balance each other out. I would also like to point out, that she is probably the only reason I have not been fired yet. Every time I'm about to do something stupid she gives me a look, and I know to rethink my actions.

So on this last Thursday night, I came into work and the carts on both sides of the lot where empty. My boss immediately sent me out on carts and I was there all night. Lily's best friend recently started working with us as a bagger. Her friend has been trained as a cashier for the holiday season.  Lily being the good friend she is didn't want to subject her best friend to the cold of that night so they switched positions.

Lily and I worked tirelessly to try to get all the carts in, but by 9:00 we still weren't done. There are two entrances to Kroger, east and west. At 9:00 you're supposed to lock the east entrance. Because we were not done collecting carts on the east side, we just turned off the electric component of the east sliding doors and decided to open them by hand as we were finishing.

When we finally finished on the east side, we walked back into the cold and were about to head to the other side of the parking lot. This is when we heard cracking. We looked at each other, starting to panic. We slowly turned around and saw that the bottom of the door had cracks all over it.

“Well,” I said, “I think we just got fired.”

“We did not, we didn’t do anything wrong!” Lily replied rolling her eyes, “When we go back inside I'll do all the talking...cuz you're not good at talking when it comes to stuff like this.”

“Hey!” I exclaimed, trying to protest. She raised an eyebrow and I conceited. Just as we were about to walk inside the east door, a neighbor from my street walked up to us. Now she's a very loud person, that's coming from a person who is usually the loudest person in the room.

“Mitchell! she exclaimed, “What did you do?!” The second she finished her sentence the glass inside the door collapsed, as if it was so weak that just the sound of her voice destroyed it. Admittedly some of the laughter that came because of this event was nervous laughter because I was thinking we might get in trouble, but honestly, this was hilarious laughter. Sometimes you shouldn’t say, “Well that's just my luck”, you have to laugh at the ridiculousness and your situation. To all my friends, be positive!



Have a Greattastic Day!
J. Mitchie Ulibarri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...