Saturday, November 23, 2019

Live For Today


Live For Today

Two of my “sisters”, August and Arden, used to work at a little bakery. While there, they made a lot of friends, including two guys. Let’s call them Ricky and Marshall. These guys had been friends for a long time and they were roommates at that time.

The five of us (August, Arden, Ricky, Marshall, and myself) had many adventures together. Rock climbing, a few festivals, and a trip to Canada for my 21st birthday. Ricky, Marshall and I took classes together at Columbus State. Ricky has since moved out of state, Arden is in Colorado (duh). But from time to time August, Marshall and I hang out. 

We found out this week that Marshall had a first date with a girl last week, and because August and I both live vicariously through the relationships of others (#Thirdwheelandproud) we decided to help him plan his second.

August picked me up from Kroger on Thursday night, and we met Marshall at the top of our street. We drove around downtown Columbus trying to scope out adventurous things that they could do. 

I sat shotgun so I was in charge of the music. Throughout our whole drive, we went through the musical stylings of Taylor Swift, The Killers, Mat Kearney, Billy Joel, and a few others. It was really funny because while August and I knew most of the words to most of the songs, Marshall didn't really know them. He decided to look them up on the internet and come in mid-song, but it was slightly off-key or offbeat and I just couldn't stop laughing.

Towards the end of the night, we got a little snack and found a rooftop that we could all get on to. We just sat on the rooftop, laughed and watched as the clouds rolled on by. I looked at August, and I suddenly felt sad. I felt sad because I know what is coming in a few months. There is no changing this, it is going to happen.

August has just accepted a job out of state. She has temporarily worked out of state before, but this is a huge change. She’s graduating next month and then she’ll be gone. She will probably come back in three months, but only for a little bit. I can’t stop thinking about all of the great adventures that all of my friends and I have had together.  Should I be sad? Is this the end? These feelings are overwhelming. I think it’s time to adjust my thoughts. I’m grateful for the memories we made together! Enjoy the adventures while you can- don’t think about tomorrow, just live for today!

Have a Greattastic day 
J. Mitchie Ulibarri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...