Monday, December 16, 2019

12 O’Clock Midnight

12 O’Clock Midnight
8:52 pm-  Arden texted me and said that she had just gotten back on the plane. I didn't check my phone until after Lily and I finished cleaning the milk cooler about 20 minutes later. I texted her back as soon as I saw it and then I finished the last hour of my shift. During that last hour, Arden never texted me back, so I had to assume that she was in the air. By the time I made that assumption however, it was time for August and Marshall to pick me up. I did not have time to think of a way to stall them, without sounding suspicious.

Flying from Denver to Columbus takes approximately 3 hours. I got in the car and realized how hard the next 2 hours were going to be.  August was up since 3:00 am that morning, so she was tired. She also told me that her parents had started to doubt that my made-up “friend from work”  could to get us into the control tower at the airport.

The whole time we were on our way to the airport, both Marshall and August were asking me if my friend was responding. This was a reasonable question, after all, that’s why we were going. When we got to the airport parking lot August said, “if he doesn't respond in 20 minutes we are leaving.”   We talked the whole 20 minutes away in what felt like two minutes. I still had no plan on how to keep them there. Thank goodness, Marshall had to go to the bathroom!

We drove to the McDonald's across the street and we tried to get in. The store was locked.  Because he’s a guy... I mean, when you got to go you got to go. He started walking around the back of the building and August went back to the car. I followed Marshall because I knew this would be my only chance.

“Marshall” I whispered, “I have to tell you something, but you can’t tell August. Ok?”

“Ok…?”

“Arden is coming, but her flight got delayed!”

Marshall had the biggest smile on his face. When we got back in the car we went through the drive-through, and then we just sat in the parking lot and Marshall and I distracted August for another hour!

It was 11:30 now “Angry August” was out to play. Do you know when Bruce Banner turns into the Incredible Hulk? That was “Angry August”. She started to pull out of the parking lot against our will. Marshall, feeling helpless said that he had to go to the bathroom again. This time he insisted that he had to go inside. She glared at him and reluctantly drove to a hotel visible from the McDonalds.

He stepped out of the car and August warned me that we were leaving as soon as he got back in. So I texted him and told him to stay in as long as possible. We made it to about 11:50 before August yelled, “that's it we are leaving!”

“No, you can’t!” I yelled back as she started to pull away, “he’s your friend!"

“I don’t care, he can Uber home!” but the "friend" comment stopped her. The next 10 minutes was a long screaming match between me and August.

“August just hang on!” I said this trying to stay calm, but inside I was panicking. “My friend is going to pull through we’re going to get into the air traffic control tower and it’s gonna be worth it!”

“It’s almost midnight, there’s no way this is going to work! Shut up!!!!”

Now the day before Arden had been FaceTiming August. Arden had been working extra shifts so she could fly here so she was really tired. Her mind was kind of turned off, and she told August that her friend was taking her to the airport. As soon as she made the mistake Arden covered it up by saying, “oh yeah Sami and I are going to Seattle!” At the time it worked, but after 10 minutes of me yelling, “it’s going to be worth it!” August started to put the pieces together.

“Arden is coming, isn’t she?”

Defeated by now, I said,  “Yes.”

“I’m gonna kill you!”

Literally, a minute after I spilled the beans, Arden texted and told me she was here. I called Marshall, and we drove back to the airport. The whole way there August was still obviously angry. But as soon as Arden walked out of the airport she couldn't do anything but smile. August, Marshall, and I got out of the car and we all started screaming and hugging each other and let me tell you...

It was Greattastic!
J. Mitchie Ulibarri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...