Sunday, December 15, 2019

Breakdown

Breakdown

“Are you excited?” mom asked as she drove me to Kroger last Thursday. Of course, I was excited, I'd been planning this for months. Or rather Arden has been planning this for months. Let me explain: When I was in Colorado visiting Arden, she told me that she was going to come back home for August’s graduation from OSU. We hatched a plan for how we were going to surprise everyone

I would tell hem that I met a girl, and that I asked her out. Then the Thursday before August’s graduation (which was last Thursday) I would hang out with our good friend Marshall after work. I would tell him to go to the airport, where we would pick up Arden. I would then text August and Kid, and tell them that Marshall and I were hanging out with “Natalie” and that she wanted to meet them, and we were on our way to the house. Of course, when we got back everyone would go crazy and it would be awesome!

We had to change the plan a little bit because Marshall’s car had to go to the shop (it's a long story, don't ask). We decided that I would tell August and Marshall that I knew a guy from work, who I told about my “feelings” for Natalie, and that he works part-time at the airport. I would tell them that he thought it would be a cool date if I took her to the air traffic control tower,  and if I wanted to check it out with a few friends I could (I know, not very realistic, but I went with it). Both Marshall and August’s need for adventure would get the best of them and we would be on our way…

Everything was on track until about 8:20 when I got a call from Arden: “Hey Mitchie...my flight has been delayed…and I think it might get canceled.” When I realized that there was a chance that our plan would not happen, I felt really sick. Arden said that she would stay at the airport, and she would text me with details.

I clocked back in and went on my cart shift l. All I wanted to do was scream and cry and just completely shut down. One of my friends at work, Connor saw that I was upset. He couldn’t calm me down, so he went inside to get help, from our other friend Lily.

My boss called me inside and told me to clean the milk cooler. As I was walking back my friend Lily (who was on her break) found me. Just as a refresher, Lily is the girl who I accidentally broke the front door with. “Mitchell, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing.” I said dryly.

“It’s not nothing, I literally have never seen you like this!”

“It’s just August is leaving next month, and Aspen is coming home tomorrow, but  Arden’s flight is delayed and it might get canceled. This weekend was probably going to be the last time we would all be together for a long time…it just sucks!”

Lily hugged and told me that everything would work out. She knew that I knew she was right because most of the time, I’m the positive one between the two of us.

I was originally only going to write two blogs this weekend, but I had to add this one in at the last minute (there will be another one tomorrow). The reason is wanted to add this one is because there is an important lesson here. It’s common for people on the autism spectrum to have “break downs”. Personally, I usually don’t, but obviously, it’s possible. Honestly, I think most people do, but “normal“ people are better at hiding it. As long as you have a good friend to get you through it, everything is going to be alright.

When I was slightly calmer, Lily helped me clean the milk cooler and as this was happening Arden texted me that she was boarding again…
To be Continued
J. Mitchie Ulibarri



No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...