Sunday, June 7, 2020

Season 3 The Empire of Friends: Blog 3: Guitar By Firelight

Guitar By Firelight

“Are you sure this was their last location?” I asked Kid from the passenger seat.

“Yes, I'm sure!” she exclaimed, parking the car. We got out of the car and looked around the park for them. At the far end of the park were a few trees that overlooked the Olentangy River. Hanging in the tree was a hammock, and August and her boyfriend, Ben, were beginning to take it down. Kid and I calmly walked past them and August noticed us.

“What are you guys doing here?” she asked.

“We were bored.” Kid replied.

We all sat down by the river and talked for about 20 minutes. When the 20 minutes were over, Kid and I decided to go home and let August and Ben continue on their adventures. Before we left I asked them if they wanted to have a fire that night and everyone agreed.

That night I grabbed my guitar and went over to the Andersons house. When Kid saw that I brought my guitar, she told me to close my eyes. I did as I was told and about 5 minutes later she made a strum on her new electric guitar!

“When did you get that?” I asked.

“Well,” their dad, Rich said, “a guy I know called me up, said his son wasn't using it anymore and asked if I wanted it.” After he told me this he laughed because he knew it fits into my conspiracy theory that he works for the CIA. Rich went and got his guitar, then the three of us started playing together.

Seeing this, Aspen texted August and Ben, and Ben brought his guitar. When August and Ben got there we went to the backyard and started collecting kindling and logs for the fire. We started the fire, made s' mores, told stories, played guitar, and hung out for the first time in what felt like years!

Life has been hard for so many people, including myself, during these last few months as a result of this pandemic. So many mental breakdowns due to the stress of being out of work and not being able to see people. But as I sat around that campfire, playing music with my friends, I was sure of the location.  I was exactly where I needed to be.

Have a Greattastic Day and be safe!
J. Mitchie Ulibarri


No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...