Saturday, November 14, 2020

Season 3: The Empire of Friends Blog 20: Game Night!

 Game Night!

As I stated in a previous installment, over the summer, Marshall worked in Montrose, Colorado, helping run the machines that remove contaminants and sanitize N95 masks. While there, Marshall worked with a man named Tim. After introducing themselves, Marshall asked Tim where he was from. It just so happened that Tim also lived in Columbus before getting the job! After working together with the whole summer, Marshall and Tim's site closed down, but they promised to meet up when they were back in Ohio.

As a result of the summer job, Marshall got a full-time job working as a research associate at P&G! Between the new job, still going to school part-time, and all the other crazy variables of life, Marshall and I haven't been able to go on as many adventures as we did Pre-Covid. Now that doesn't mean that we haven't seen each other most weekends. He usually comes to my house and does homework while I do writing stuff. There's not a lot of content to write about for these events because it's the same thing every weekend—most of the time.


The last time he came over, we had a "break day." The weekend before was Tim's girlfriend, Holly's birthday. In the middle of our session, Marshall and I drove to meet Tim and Holly to give her a gift. We had to get back to work, so we left fairly quickly, but this led Tim and Holly to invite Marshall and me to a board game night with them and one of their friends the next weekend.


We spent Sunday afternoon playing tennis with Kid, and around 5:30, Marshall and I drove to the other side of town to Tim and Holly's house. We walked into the house and were immediately met by Tim and Holly's dog, Samson. Samson is a puppy, maybe a few months old, and let me tell you; he liked me! The entire night as we ate dinner and played games, he was either looking at me or jumping on me.


After Tim and Holly calmed Samson down, they introduced us to their friend Janeel. We sat down, and Marshall and I spent most of the time… Okay, fine, who am I kidding? I spent most of the time telling stories about Marshall and my adventures. As I told our stories, I came to a sudden realization! 


COVID-19 has completely wrecked this year, and I don't think anyone would argue that. Those new human interactions, those chance meetings, those crazy nights, or a lack thereof have made this situation so hard and complicated. It's not that I haven't known this since early April. Still, that fact has become diluted by the isolation and the abnormality of life. I hope and pray that someday soon, we can all be together again! 


Have a Greattastic Day and be Safe! 

J. Mitchie Ulibarri


No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...