Saturday, October 9, 2021

Season 4 Step 1 Blog 21: Perfect Timing

 Perfect Timing

Lori (Noah's girlfriend) is a teacher in a school about a couple of hours outside of Columbus. On October 1st, her school held a dinner for Alumni. The problem was October 1st was Noah's birthday. Lori could get into town around 10 p.m., but she didn't want Noah to spend his whole day alone… that’s where I came in!

The plan was for me to go down to Adriatico's, a pizza place down on OSU's campus that Noah enjoyed when he was in college. Then I would drive to Noah's house, and after we ate our pizza, we would go to a bowling alley, where Lori would meet us.

Lori ordered the pizza in my name and told me it would be ready at 8:20. I arrived at Adriatico's at 8:22. I walked in and told the college girl working the cash register my name.

"We don't have an order under that name," she said, "Could it be under another?"

I gave her Lori's information only to be met with the same result. Confused, I walked out of the restaurant and called Lori. "Huh," Lori said, "That's strange… I'll figure out what's going on."

"What do you want me to do?" I asked.

"Could you get another pizza?" she replied.

"Of course!" I answered.

I went back into the restaurant, placed my order, and waited 20 minutes for it to be done. Finally, I got to Noah's house around 9:15. We talked and ate, and we didn't end up getting to the bowling alley until an hour later. I set everything up, and we only played one frame before Lori showed up.

On paper, this installment does look like a negative review for Adriatico's, but I don't think I would have changed anything. Other than taking Noah to Adriatico's with me so we could have spent more time together. I understand why schedules are essential, but it's too easy to get caught up in them. As an autistic person, I was super stressed out waiting for that pizza to be made because we were behind. But if we had been on time, Lori would not have arrived at the same time as us. Sometimes being late causes you to have perfect timing!

Have a Greattastic Day and be Safe!

J. Mitchie Ulibarri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...