Saturday, October 23, 2021

Season 4 Step 1 Blog 23: The Rainbow After The Storm

 The Rainbow After The Storm


I pulled up to the gas station, turned off my car, and popped open the gas cap. I stepped out of the car and started pumping gas. I could hardly stand still as the tank filled up. The dress clothes I was wearing tightened around my elbows as I held the nozzle in the car and I became very aware that I was wearing them and where I was going.

Twelve years ago, on October 15th, my best friend, Samantha McCarthy (S.M.), passed away. In her honor, S.M.'s mom, Nikki, founded "Sam's Fans," which supports music and art therapy for sick kids in Ohio hospitals. A friend of Nikki's, Miranda, owns a fashion boutique called "Thread," and every year, Thread hosts a fashion show, "Thread of Hope" (TOH), benefiting Sam's fans. TOH Is the biggest night of the year for both Thread and Sam's Fans, planning for the next year starting a week after the event.

Shortly after S.M. died, Ladybugs started showing up everywhere. As a result, Ladybugs have become one of the many signs that S.M. is near. Another sign that she is Around is rainbows. Since Sam's Fans had to go virtual due to the pandemic, This year's TOH was branded as "The Rainbow After the Storm."

As I drove up to The Exchange at Bridge Park, where TOH is always held, I was in disbelief. First of all, I got my driver's license during the pandemic, so it was surreal going to TOH by myself. Second of all, and more importantly, I couldn't believe that I would see everybody again. When I walked into The Exchange, that disbelief Turned into Full-on sensory overload. Not a negative sensory overload by any means, but still way too much was going externally and emotionally to concentrate.

The event was a huge success (as always), and We all made a lot of good memories. I talked to all of S.M.'s friends and family and those who Sam's Fans have touched. I usually have more to say about social gatherings like this, especially when Sam's Fans. I think I'm better at this generally because I'm looking for content for these installments most of the time, but I was enjoying myself too much. So I guess all I have to say is I'm happy that Sam's Fans has returned, and I got to enjoy The Rainbow After the Storm!

Have a Greattastic Day and be safe!

J. Mitchie Ulibarri





No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...