Saturday, October 2, 2021

Season 4 Step 1 Blog 20: Step 1 Part 1

 Step 1 Part 1

My former co-worker Lily left my Kroger about a year ago, and I have not mentioned her since the last season finale. She was my Kroger "workplace bestie," and we have been through a lot. I also haven't talked much about working at Kroger since she left. My reasoning is because the things that happen to me at Kroger tend to lean towards the outrageous. So while weird stuff has happened to me post-Lily, I'm not able to stretch most of the incidents into complete installments because the weird things are a lot more low-key without her.

Lily had the strangest effect on her friends. A year after she started working at Kroger, her best friend, Maya started working with us. Maya's brother, Ethan, started working with us shortly after that… and then the floodgates opened. After Lily moved to her new Kroger, her current boyfriend, Owen, worked with me for a short time. Then Chloe, Lily and Maya's other friend, began working at Lily's new store. Heck, even Lily's nemesis, Summer, started working at my store. Most recently, and most relevant for the sake of this installment, their friend Isabella (Izzy) started working in the front end with me.

While I'm here and talking about this group, I need to say that we had a big falling out with Lily very recently. It's a long story, and I'm super upset about what happened, but I hope we can resolve the situation someday. Despite the stress this has caused us, I have remained friends with Maya, Ethan, Chloe, Summer, and Izzy.


Now Izzy took Lily's spot as my Kroger "workplace bestie" even before we fell out with Lily because there was a void that needed to be filled. We've gotten super close since we started working together, and she has proven herself as a good friend, as she just helped me through a rough break-up.

As I mentioned in a previous installment, "Death Sentence," I don't want to spend my whole life acting like I can't be successful because I'm autistic. "Step 1" of my plan to prove the stereotype wrong is to move out of my parent's house. I couldn't do much for most of this season because I couldn't afford to move out on my Kroger salary, so I had to wait for the New Story job to start. When it did, the next thing I had to do was find a roommate.

A couple of weeks ago, I went to my usual Kroger shift, and Izzy and I started talking. "You know," Izzy said in the middle of our conversation, "If you're looking for a roommate… I kind of need one…."

"Are you serious!" I asked excitedly.

"Dead serious!" she replied.

Now we're back to a waiting game because Izzy is trying to find a better-paying job so she can afford rent, but once that happens, the plan is for us to start looking for apartments! I can't wait to see what comes next!

Have a Greattastic Day and Be Safe!

J. Mitchell Ulibarri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...