Saturday, September 2, 2023

Season 6 Whats The Dream? Blog 20: Mitchmas (26) Part 1: Best Laid Plans

 Mitchmas (26) Part 1: Best Laid Plans

 On March 12th, 2020, Governor Mike Dewine instituted a statewide lockdown in response to Covid-19. Marshall and I had just gotten back from a spring break trip to Colorado. Now Marshall worked at Columbus State, when he was in school there, he had left stuff in his office. It kind of felt like the beginning of a zombie movie… I know that sounds dramatic, but it really did feel like society was about to collapse. In our panic, when Marshall and I got to Columbus State to pick stuff up, we didn't plan it very well and didn't get everything he had there.

On August 11, 2020, Marshall, August, and I decided to return to Columbus State to collect the things that Marshall and I had left behind back in March. We rode our bikes down the trail and, within an hour, made it to the campus.

After Marshall had collected his things, we started to head back home. We decided to ride through downtown as opposed to the trail on the way back. About halfway through the ride, August said that she was hungry, and Marshall and I weren’t opposed to food, so we masked up and entered a Chinese restaurant.

For years I have called my birthday (August 19), Mitchmas because I think it’s punny. For Mitchmas 21, August,  Arden, Marshall, his friend, Ricky, and I went to Toronto. As we were eating, August, Marshall, and I discussed some adventures we had been on before masks, quarantines, and social distancing.

“…and remember when we went to Canada?!”  August said.

“Yeah, it was really fun!” I replied.

“Yeah… except that I got food poisoning,” Marshall grumbled. After a little more discussion, we decided that we would make another trip to Canada once the border opened.

With Mitchmas 26 approaching, my “sisters,” Paige, Marshall, and James, were asking me what I wanted to do. I thought back to the plan August and Marshall had made, so I suggested a weekend trip to Canada. That didn’t work out as Mitchmas was coming up too fast, but we decided to go to a lake town in Pennsylvania.

Mitchmas fell on a Saturday this year, so we took a trip over the weekend. On the night of my birthday, however, I always have a birthday dinner with my family and, for the last three years, Noah. So on Wednesday, August 16, my family, Noah and Paige, went to Buca di Beppo. After dinner, we went to my parents' house for cake and presents. I know I say this about this dinner almost every year, but I’m thankful that I get to spend it with my friends and family!

To Be Continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...