Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Season 6 What's The Dream? Blog 4: Spring Break 2023 Part 1: Cadillac

 Spring Break 2023 Part 1: Cadillac

As you may recall, for spring break 2020, Marshall and I flew to Colorado to surprise August and Arden. On the return trip, Governor Mike Dewine shut down Ohio in response to Covid-19. At the time, I worked in the after-school program at News Story (formerly known as Haugland Learning Center). Since classes transitioned to Zoom, I was let go. While I would inevitably return to New Story as a teacher support, that was not until the 2021-22 school year. In other words, spring break 2020 lasted approximately a year and a half for me. All that is to say, I didn't go anywhere for spring break in 2022 because there was too much PTSD.

Because Ryan moved to Chicago last summer, I was planning on spending my spring break there. However, Ryan didn't think my spending the whole week there would be a good idea because he couldn't come up with an entire weeks worth of stuff to do. So when a few coworkers invited me to come on a cabin trip with them, I decided to go on that trip for the week (Monday to Thursday morning) and go to Chicago for the weekend. The coworkers that came were Libby, Scarlett, Tara, Carly, Violet, Xavier, and Mark.

We left Columbus on Monday, March 27th, and got to the cabin in Cadillac, Michigan, at 7:00 p.m. After doing some shopping and picking up food, we returned to the house for the night. We spent Tuesday relaxing more than anything, and so on Wednesday, we did the activities that we had planned.

We planned to have Brunch, do a painting activity, watch a few movies, and then have a fancy dinner night for pictures. As I’ve mentioned before, my dad is an artist, and he owns an art studio called Kobolt Design Studios. Ryan, Luke, and Josh have always been better at art than I am, so I assumed I didn't get Dad's art gene.

For Brunch, we all made mixed drinks, mainly because we needed to get rid of the alcohol we had bought before leaving the following morning. I'd never made mixed drinks before, so I watched my friends and copied what they were doing. The problem was my alcohol-to-mixer ratio was off, so I got way drunker at 11:00 in the morning than anyone has the right to be. Next, everybody got a canvas for our painting project, and our prompt was "spring break." We set a timer for 7 minutes, and when that time was up, we would pass our canvas to the right until everyone had painted on each one.

I learned a while ago that the drunker I get, the more autistic I get because I can't mask it as well (not that I mask it a lot, anyway). As I created my painting and added to everyone else's, I realized that the thought that I wasn't good at art was, in fact, stopping me from being good at it. I needed to let go and not worry about it, and after that, I was pretty decent!

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 7 Be An Advocate Blog 8: Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality

  Spring Break 2024 Part 2: Totality In part 1, I said my spring break lasted until April 8th. That wasn’t 100% true. That day was the day o...