Friday, September 18, 2026

Season 10 Greattasticly Ever After Blog 17: Mitchmas (29), Part 2: A Quick Trip To Orlando

 Mitchmas (29), Part 2: A Quick Trip To Orlando

Key: In this installment, Paige B is my cousin Paige and Austin B is her husband.



My grandma on my dad’s side turned 80 on July 27th. The following week my parents, Grandma, and my grandpa Joe went to Belize. Pop-pop’s 80th birthday was on August 24. All things being equal, my family decided to take a quick trip down to Orlando to celebrate his birthday.

I got home on Friday August 21st at 4:20, and as soon as I walked in, I realized Paige had gotten a haircut. We left the apartment at 4:45, and 20 minutes later we were at Kobolt. We flew on Breeze, which is the replacement budget airline after Spirit went under. It was about the same expense. We got to Eva and Zach’s at close to midnight that night, and after we hung out with them and I cleaned my finger (I was still recovering from the events of Bad Days 2), we went to bed. 

The next day, we spent the morning setting up Eva’s house for Pop-pop’s party. Eva, Mom, Dad, Paige, and I set up these little paper flowers and other decorations. Zach, Ryan, and Luke got food and photos, while Josh did lawn work, and then we all hung the photos up. 

Around 3:45, Pop-pop and Sara arrived, and the party started at 4:00. The people who I knew at the party were some of Dad‘s cousins, Martin and Pam and Martin’s parents, my Aunt Alicia, Uncle Paul, Alexander, Austin, Paige and Austin B, their kids, Bentley and Piper, and one of Pop-pop’s old friends, Deb, who visited Columbus with Pop-pop shortly after Ryan was born. Everyone else (excluding Sara‘s children and grandchildren), was from about 3 different friend groups Pop-pop is part of, and most of them had never met each other

People started leaving around 6:30, shortly after Paige B took the kids home to bed. The only people left were Eva & Zach, my parents and brothers, Pop-pop, Sara, Aunt Alicia, Uncle Paul, Austin, and obviously Paige. Everyone went into the pool for a late-night swim. 

As we swam, Pop-pop put his mouth on the end of his pool noodle and shot water out of the other end at Dad. This started an all-out brawl. As I got out of the pool, because the water was too much for my finger, I looked at my family. I think we tend to have a lot of fun when we are together, but it was amazing to see my 80-year-old grandpa playing with my dad and my siblings and having the time of his life.

To Be Continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season 10 Greattasticly Ever After Blog 18: Mitchmas (29), Part 3: Elizabeth’s B-day

   Mitchmas (29), Part 3: Elizabeth’s B-day On Thursday, September 3rd 2026, after my coworker Elizabeth had left for the day, our other cow...